Cloud Architect • Principal DevOps Engineer • Principal Automation Engineer • Senior Data Engineer • Senior Data Infrastructure Engineer
Automation, continuous integration, and continuous delivery (CI/CD) on cloud infrastructure.
Developing and operating data pipelines which are scalable and easy to operate.
Maintaining high performance relational databases - SQL query tuning, schema design, deadlocks, replication.
Designing multi-tier structured logging infrastructure for easy reporting and visualization.
Technical project planning and cost modeling.
Amazon Web Services • MySQL • Data Pipelines & ETL • Automation • Python • Ruby • Ansible • Jenkins • Git • Elasticsearch • MongoDB • PostGreSQL • Docker • Google Cloud Platform • Kubernetes • Hadoop/EMR Administration
Senior DevOps Engineer
Panda Strike LLC • Remote • October 2014 - Present
As a Senior DevOps Engineer for Panda Strike, on a remote basis I engaged with clients via various electronic means for the delivery of DevOps and DBA engineering and consulting. As the primary contact for most projects, I advised my clients on DevOps engineering practices.
- Improved AWS EMR log stream analytics cluster idempotency and replayability by implementing Airflow data pipeline system and developed Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG) in Python.
- Increased application MySQL read-replica scaling capacity to 64 RDS Aurora Readers using ProxySQL, Ansible, & Jenkins.
- Reduced MySQL deadlocks by 90+% using locking reads and schema/index changes.
- Improved visibility of PostgreSQL query workload on production RDS PostgreSQL using PGBadger.
- Reduced human time to rebuild dev environment databases to less than 1 minute using Ruby and Jenkins Pipeline (Groovy Jenkinsfile).
- Deployed multi-tier structured-log infrastructure for 5 clients with ElasticSearch, Fluentd, and Kibana (EFK).
- Produced Helm Charts for application deployment on Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE).
- Improved development and testing efficiency with Docker and Docker Compose on multiple projects.
- Improved client understanding of their website performance under annual peak load by using JMeter, Ansible, and Jenkins; visualized the results using ElasticSearch, Fluentd, and Kibana.
- Reduced by over an hour the time to build and deploy application running in an EC2 Auto Scaling Group using Ansible and Jenkins.
- Integrated CloudWatch alerts with environment-specific Slack channels using AWS SNS and a Python AWS Lambda function.
- Reduced EC2, RDS, and ElastiCache Redis costs by more than 10% by purchasing Reserved Instances|Databases|Cache Nodes.
- Maintained detailed records of weekly client meetings, quarterly release planning, and incident reports.
Fabric Worldwide • Remote/Seattle, WA • January 2012 - October 2014
As the Operations Manager at Fabric Worldwide, I led systems architecture on the AWS platform. My leadership was technical and hands-on.
- Improved utilization and reliability of core Hadoop cluster running in AWS by developing a Bash-based data pipeline system.
- Reduced time and eliminated human error deploying MongoDB 2.4 ReplicaSet on EC2 with Provisioned-IOPS EBS using CloudFormation.
- Achieved network-layer security using native-AWS capabilities and open source software: VPC, Security Groups, OpenVPN, Elastic Load Balancers, SSL/TLS, Bastion Hosts, and Route53 DNS.
- Reduced production and nonproduction deployment time for Elastic Beanstalk using Bash and Elastic Beanstalk CLI.
- Implemented a cost-reduction initiative of company-wide AWS utilization, resulting in an annual savings of $120,000.
- Improved AWS cost reporting detail using AWS Cost Allocation tags.
Principal Engineer/Managing Partner
Datacenter Experts, LLC • Remote • September 2007 - January 2012
I was a co-owner of an IT Operations consulting partnership firm, with clients located in US (Washington & California), UK, and Japan. Our client’s industries: mobile telecommunication, software-as-a-service (SaaS), retail, and domain monetization. My partner and I had various duties, some technically-oriented, some business-oriented.
- Minimized downtime for 3 MySQL master-master replication pairs.
- Delivered recommendations to client engineers on schema design, query optimization, server software and hardware configuration for MySQL.
- Delivered infrastructure-as-code solution using Puppet and Subversion for multiple clients.
- Optimized use of SSH Bastion Host with OpenSSH and Firewall Knock Operator.
- Reduced time to provision bare-metal systems running CentOS and KVM using PXE and Cobbler to less than 20 minutes.
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY PRE-2007
Senior Systems and Database Administrator
Klir Technologies • Seattle, WA • September 2006 - September 2007
Senior Systems Administrator
CarDomain Networks • Seattle, WA • October 2005 - September 2006
IT Operations Manager
LexisNexis Applied Discovery • Bellevue, WA • October 2004 - May 2005
Manager of Information Systems
Message Gate • Bellevue, WA • November 2003 - October 2004
LexisNexis Applied Discovery • Bellevue, WA • June 2002 - November 2003
Production Support Manager
LoudEye Technologies • Seattle, WA • October 2001 - June 2002
LoudEye Technologies • Seattle, WA • February 2000 - October 2001
Boise Cascade Corporation • Medford, OR • May 1998 - June 1999
BackOffice Solutions Specialist
ProjectA, Inc • Ashland, OR • May 1995 - May 1998
Bachelors of Science in Software Application Programming (Computer Science)
Southern Oregon University • Ashland, OR • September 1994 - June 1997
Amazon Web Services - Solutions Architect (Associate)
Certified MySQL Administrator